Caldmore Primary Academy follows the Year group programmes of study as identified in the National Curriculum for Literacy. Long term plans are created by using the themes of narrative, non-fiction and poetry. These themes are then taught in a given number of units spread progressively across the year. Literacy is a core subject in the National Curriculum, therefore the teaching and learning of Literacy skills is given high priority throughout school.
- By the end of Year 6 we aim for all of our pupils to be able to:
- use a wide vocabulary with a good understanding of grammar;
- use discussion in order to learn, explaining clearly their understanding and ideas;
- participate in conversations, making appropriate contributions;
- make formal presentations and participate in debate;
- create, share and evaluate ideas and understanding through drama;
- read easily and fluently, showing good understanding, for purpose, pleasure and information across the curriculum;
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences;
- spell accurately;
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage;
- develop a clear and fluent joined handwriting style.